Friday, August 24, 2012

Cholesterol

Apparently there are some family and friends who know about my incredibly high cholesterol that I had not updated of where I was currently at...my apologies!

For those of you who don't know, I had my blood tested for the first time ever, back in late January this year and apparently my OB/GYN was quite nervous about the numbers.  Not ever having had my cholesterol checked before and not knowing a thing about the numbers, as she started to ramble them off I really had no clue.  But from the tone in her voice she sounded quite nervous.

My total number was 303.  My good cholesterol was too low and my bad cholesterol was way too high.  I don't remember all the numbers and don't have the paperwork nearby.  At any rate, she wanted me to see a primary care physician ASAP.  So I did...

This was in late January, and in late February (that's how long it took to get an appointment with a new primary care physician) I met with my primary care physician, worried about her wanting to instantly put me on medication.  After talking to many people at work prior to that appointment they were all telling me, "Don't start taking meds.  If you do, you'll never get off them again."  Great!  So I have to start off with possibly arguing with my brand new primary care physician - no worries - this will work out great.... **sigh**

Well, fortunately she looked over all my information, and asked me lots of questions.  I told her that my husband and I started working out in January, playing racquetball, and that I had a goal of getting healthy.  She was happy to hear that, and because I had no other medical problems or conditions, was not taking any drugs at all and was generally healthy except for the weight and cholesterol, she said, "Well, let's see if diet and exercise will bring your numbers down before we consider putting you on any medication."

I was ecstatic!  Wow!  A main stream doctor NOT wanting to immediately prescribe me drugs! Woo hoo!

So, the deal was that I would come back in less than 4 months and have my blood re-tested and then we would meet and go over the numbers... and go from there.

Well, I went back in mid-June, had my blood taken again and then met with the doctor a week later.

Great news!  It has dropped, not a lot, but it is now at 264, which is a good sign, and I also lost 10 lbs.  So, she is going to give me 6 more months and come back again to see where I'm at and then decide if I can keep up the good habits and keep going down, or if I am genetically predisposed to high cholesterol and that there might be a point where it just won't go down anymore.  From there we can talk about meds, if we need them at all.

She was quite surprised at my progress.  I don't think she has many success stories and that made me feel incredibly good, and proud.

Since then Shannon and I have been continuing the racquetball.  We do at least three times a week.  And now that school has started back up we are back to our daily walks, which are quite intense... the road we walk has been called heartbreak hill.  The incline is extremely intense - so we are definitely getting our heart rates up and sweating and breathing hard by the time we make it to the top!

We have also decided to go back to a vegetarian diet - thanks to our good friend Jenn!  She turned us on to a very funny doctor who has a great blog/video blog with all the scientific data of why a vegan diet is healthier for cholesterol, cancer and many other issues.  We aren't vegan yet, but eventually we will get there.  For now just cutting out meat is our first step, then eventually cheese, milk and eggs.  And, for now we've added back in nuts because apparently they are incredibly healthy and you don't even need to eat that much... though, honestly, I love nuts and am glad to be able to spend our money on that instead of meat!

So, there you have it... for those who knew and wondered... and for those who didn't... well, now you know!

I'm on the road to "recovery" so to speak.  Moving and exercising and feeling good again, and eating healthier and healthier each day!



No comments: