Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year and Life Happenings

So the big hit in the Wiley household is a computer game called Spore. For those who are not into computers or computer games you can go to Spores website here to learn more if you want. This is a mixture of a few different types of games that the guys love all put into one. We got the fancy space one so you can start out as an amoeba and evolve to the point where space travel is possible. It really is quite a fun and funny game - though not one that will be sucking my life or brain cells away any time soon. This is yet another game of multi-tasking, which I can't stand! I guess I do enough multi-tasking in my work life, and home life, that escaping into a multi-tasking game just isn't for me. But the guys all seem to be enjoying it so I think it was the number 1 gift from Christmas!

Alex is Mr. Socialite. We had a goodbye party for one of his classmates who was only in the class for a few months and is now returning to Austria. That was a couple days before Christmas. Then they had another goodbye party for her because two of the classmates were not here when we had our party. Then it was ice skating with K.T. for 3 hours (my ankles shudder in fear of that thought).

Then New Year's Eve both Alex and Jared went to a party to ring in the new year's with some of their classmates and friends - it was a party for families so we were invited as well. But, because our boys have to hang out with us so much of their lives - at school and when we are running and chaperoning the dances - we felt it was best to give them some social space.

So resolutions are always a big thing for New Years for a lot of people. I used to be one of those people but over the years have realized that a lot of the resolutions were to lofty or maybe I just did too many? Then I would be disappointed in myself when I didn't do them all or keep them. This time around I think instead of hitting myself with a lot of resolutions all at once I will just work on one thing at a time - baby step resolutions - to help myself grow and change. I'll let you know how that goes.

My first baby step is to try some volunteering OUTSIDE of our school. Because animals have been a long time passion of mine that is where I'm going to start. The Orange County Animal Shelter is near the school and because basketball is keeping me at school late every night I figured I could be using my time more wisely. Alex says he is interested in doing that as well so we are going to put in our applications and hopefully go to their next training session and go from there.

Only 3 more days and then it's back to the rat race. This has been the first time in 7 years that I have been able to spend the whole holiday vacation with my family and it has been the best! No having to take vacation time to do so or, worse, having to work while they are all home relaxing. I could get used to this! :)

Happy New Years to everyone. More to come later.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Here's to a brand new year and some new outside interests for you! I like your blog's new year look!